Crocheting Eorme

Finally - it is ready! My Eorme blanket. Since I am like everybody else that crochets and just hate to join done crochet squares, it felt like it took friggin forever to make.

Hello, my name is Eorme.
She made me wear fringes,
even though she hates fringes.
In retrospect, the most funny thing about this project is that it actually started out as a tunic.
Yes, a tunic.
But about halfway through (or up, as you were suppose to knit it from down to up) I just got fed up with the project, frogged the whole thing and put the yarn aside. This was during the winter of 2010.

Then, I read the book “200 crochet blocks” by author Jan Eaton, and thought that it had been some time ago since my last crochet block blanket. Thank you Linda for recommending it! The pattern I wanted to use is called "Fudge".
So, off I went to buy more yarn, and typically enough the Novita yarn company didn’t produce Novita Luxus Cotton anymore. It's like my Mom has always told me: "Buy enough and then at least two extra skeins the first time, because who knows..."
The few left-for-dead-yarns I found were definitely not in the colors I wanted. Typical. Only colors left were sunny yellow, light green and baby pink. Not when you want white, beige, light and dark blue. I did ask around.

Left-for-dead dark blue Novita Luxus Cotton.
Yup. Ecologically produced cotton.
The yarn you find in the SALE! bins
at e.g. Citymarket. What a shame.
So, Eorme is as large as I actually could possibly make it, which is about 1 m x 1,2 m. Not very big, but not that small either. Some yarn got left over, and those were enough to make fringes. And yes, I just hate fringes and tassels, but I thought that this time they would actually be okay. And they do look quite okay, at least in my opinion.

This is how big it is.
The trick with crocheted blankets is to start small and then do it assembly-line-style. Meaning, I crocheted ALL the centers first, darned in the ends, then started on the next color... It goes fast in the beginning, and then it sort of creeeeeeps along in the end.

I think I carried the small purse with the squares-in-progress around everywhere. I also crocheted nearly everywhere: train, bus, police station (trice!), at home, library, knit-along, at homehome with Mom and Dad, at Emmis's summer cottage...

You could fit a lot of crochet into that small black purse.
The small roundels above was what I crocheted while waiting in line the first time at the police station with my German friend Ette. She was getting some official documents, and I came along (it seems to be impossible to really get along with the bureaucracy in Finland as a foreigner, unless you have a native friend along!). This is how much I had time to crochet while we were waiting (25 small roundels... there's 5 in every pile).

Comments