Craft Project Wednesday: The jeans quilt

Craft Project Wednesday is a 2012 recurring blog post
 where I present a craft project I'm currently working on.

Blue jeans are actually not always blue.
Who could ever have guessed...

I've been working slowly, but at least semi-steadily, on this jeans quilt. The progress is more tied to the amount of donated old jeans I've managed to get people to kindly enough gift me with. All of the pairs have been so worn down, or have such huge holes in them, that you can't donate them to any second hand store.

So far, I've managed to scavenge together :

4 pairs from our own wardrobe (2 of mine, 2 of Micke's)
1 pair from my friend Elli (once again - thank you Elli!)
1 pair from my Mom (although she did have more pairs, but they weren't all blue)

This is a project that may take however long it wants itself to take, because I really refuse to go thrift shopping for "good" jeans only to cut them to 10x10 cm squares. I'd rather wait and kindly ask people now and again if they happen to have any blue jeans that have totally broken zippers/giant holes/been worn down.

Sewing them together is starting to
become quite a challenge, since I
don't have an extension board for
my sewing machine.

Dear reader, you wouldn't happen to have just such a pair lying around, would you?

If you do, I would ask you if you would reconsider donating them to me instead of just throwing them out with the rest of the trash? Clothing that isn't recycled actually have a huge environmental impact, if you're interested you can read about it e.g. here on Pub Med Central, or just google "textile recycling" and see if you find anything readable.

I do recommend the Pub Med article, although I realize it's a bit of a long read for some people.

Comments

  1. Jag kan donera måånga, men de är hemma så du kan få dem som försenad födispresent :) Du måst bara påminna mig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jag tar (som redan skrivet) jääääättegärna emot dem, om du bara har lust att donera :)

    Jag kan fast ta och påminna dig på måndag eller så att du ska skriva in i kalendern att ta dem från Åland när du far hemhem på besök nästa gång :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faktiskt har nog jag också sådär 5-6 butikskassar med kasserade jeans som jag brukar säga åt folk att jag inte vill ha för att jag brukar använda så lite sånt tyg :P Men sen när folk annars slänger så har jag nu ändå tagit vara på dom... Lite motsatt problem, liksom. Men det dröjer nog innan jag är dit där jag har sånt material samlat, i stan har jag väl typ en-en halv kasse jag nog skulle kunna omplacera. Men du kan ju se hur mycket du drunknar i Sofis först ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria vännen, jag tar jättejättegärna emot jeans av dig med! Jag blir jätteglad för alla jeans som snälla folk bara kan tänka sig donera till det här projektet :)
    Jag tro nämligen inte att det går att få för många för det, för även om jag själv önskar att den här jeansfilten sku få bli så stor att den sku täcka en dubbelsäng, så satsar jag (mera realistiskt ?) på så mycket att det ens sku räcka till en enkel säng.
    Så om du bara har lust att skänka dem så blir jag jättejätteglad :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment