The eighth thing you didn't know about me



The Truth about me Thursday is a 2012 recurring blog post
where I present one truth about myself.


Everyone has their preferences. Such is life, and without people preferring something over something else all our lives would be a whole lot grayer.

When it comes to sweet things like candy, sodas and the like, I have to confess myself to be racist.

A candy and soda racist.

Again, this is something that was funny when me and a couple of friends thought it up back in high school. How I wouldn't eat candy like licorice or salt licorice and not drink sodas like Coca-Cola and Pepsi. Because I was a candy and soda racist.

Originally, it was "karkki- och limurasist".

The definition kinda stuck, but writing it down now, here, I must confess I think it looks absolutely terrible. Horrible, even.

The word itself, this loaded word... racist. I would not want it associated with the person that is me. Because even if it is a very human trait to try and joke about something grave, in order to mentally cope with something, there is not much positive associated with that word.



racism   |ˈrāˌsizəm |
noun
• the belief that all members of each race
possess characteristics or abilities
specific to that race, esp. so as
to distinguish it as inferior or
 superior to another race or races.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism
directed against someone of a different
race based on such a belief 
: a program to combat racism.


"The belief that all members....".
Seeing that written down, looking at it through a biochemists' point of view, I must say I do concur. 

The more the people of Earth will interbreed and mix up genetically, the better for all of us, but until such a day comes, the more a population indigenous to a certain area will have "characteristics or abilities specific" to that region. Black/brown/blond hair be damned, this is about things deeper than such phenotypes. Some people are more prone to certain types of cancers, some to immunologic diseases, some to heart diseases.

We're all humans, but it is still our heritage that defines half of what we are (in accordance with the other half being how we're raised). Some might be better at some things, but we still have only less of 1 % difference between one another.


But I think I'm gonna stop referring to myself as a karkkirasist.

Comments