The ninth thing you didn't know about me



The Truth about me Thursday is a 2012 recurring blog post
where I present one truth about myself.


There's this interesting thing about elementary-trough-high school alcohol and drug education.

It worked, on me. Don't know about the rest of the people, but at least on me.

I was an absolutist until I was 23 years and some months old. And then, it was pretty much a conscious choice for me to start imbibing alcohol. On a "alcohol oriented student event". Although, aren't they all?

Like any scientific experiment I ran through the test itself,
which meant drinking about 10 portions of alcohol in 6 hours,
after which I got very dizzy and thus very nauseous,
drank at least a liter of soda water,
all the while complaining loudly how dizzy I was,
then felt slightly better,
ate a burger and some fries at McD,
then fell asleep at home in bed,
while the whole world was still spinning through the roof,
although that was probably just my vestibular system having problems,
woke up at 07:35,
got myself to (lab)work,
because it was Thursday,
and didn't feel anything worse than just plain old tiredness.

Although my lab handler did ask me "weren't you supposed to be home today?". And one of the friends I had gone to the event with spent her night, and half her day, sleeping in her bathroom because her hangover was so terrible.

After this, I have been hungover - as in "really" hungover - perhaps three times.

Because, as Micke says it, I'm a terrible drinker. Because I really don't... drink that much. And I drink really slowly. We've seen that time and time again, where he drinks perhaps 2,5 beers while I'm still sipping on my first glas (12 cl) of wine. And after a certain point, I just don't want any anymore.

I can handle the tiredness that comes on the next day, but I have no intention of spending my day alternating between being decked out and/or throwing up because of the alcohol poisoning. Which being hungover really is all about.

So I know how it is like on both sides of the coin. Funny thing is, out of the definitions about drinking that I've grown up with

absolutist (meaning total alcohol abstinence)
nykterist (meaning you drink a little)
drickare (meaning you're a "normal" drinker)
alkoholist (meaning you over-indulge)

I think that some of the most judgmental people I've come across are the ones in the first category. Alternatively talking down about the people drinking, or egging them on with more. I guess it the same with sex: those who haven't any personal experience with it seem to spend too much time thinking about it. It's really weird, but I still understand them. But I don't want to condone such behavior either.

Oh well, this post certainly became quite long, and I only wanted to say "Hi, I'm Ea, and I'm really not that much of a drinker. Of either alcohol or water." There you have it.

Comments

  1. Hello... Interesting blog post today. :) Me, I don't drink at all, esp. now that I am allergic to corn and all corn derivatives.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great week to you too - and hopes that your back gives your body a lot less pain! With your medication - as with any medication - I'm sure alcohol is just such a bad idea even without your allergies :/

    I know that people with gluten allergy have to resort to ciders and wine (since beer has gluten in it), but after reading how "corn derivatives can be found anywhere", I'm more confused than anything. Sure, if your break down the starches and proteins found in corn you can (metabolically speaking) get a lot of molecules, but I find it hard to believe that 'normal' things like vitamin E (alpha tocopherol) and glutamate (THE most common neurotransmitter) is on that list... I kinda get it, if you'd have samples of them contaminated from being processed in a plant that also processes corn, but still...

    Also, I must confess that this post what both difficult and easy to write. Easy because I had a theme to write about, but difficult in that I didn't want to offend anyone with my writing. I know, I know, I already stated that you can skip reading them, but old habits about being polite are hard to break.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment