The thirteenth thing you didn't know about me



The Truth about me Thursday is a 2012 recurring blog post
where I present one truth about myself.


Most persons like to talk. Some more than others. I'm one of those.

*sigh*

Most people like to talk the most about one simple topic. Themselves. Unless they're embarrassed by something they've done, then not so much. Or depressed.

Another thing is that some people go on and on and on about certain topics. Think broken records, but without the scratching sounds in between sentences. At times, this can make them really boring to  talk to, at other times they make you so frustrated that you actually debate whether you can just dare to leave the conversation. Just walk away. Even though it's perceived as very rude, and your Mother/Father certainly taught you better manners.

I once got the comment, from a friend, that

"You talk a lot, but unlike [other friend's name]
you always talk about different things"

I know, I know. And yes, I do. But not when I'm depressed.

And then.... there's the people who like to win in debates.

No matter the topic, if the other person says something you know is just wrong, you immediately have to correct them. Successfully being "right" and proving the other person "wrong" gives you satisfaction. Even more if you can then go on and further "educate" them about why the right is... well, "right". If you "loose", then you get angry.

I'm one of them too.

But since last autumn (that is, since 2011) I had this... well not exactly an epiphany but still a similar experience. I won't go into details, because of all the thing about  talking-too-much here above, but I will say that trying to lessen this "need to win while debating" is making some parts of my life Heck*.

Endeavouring to be both brief and don't egg people on in debates is one of the hardest things I'm trying to learn. I guess it can be thought of as being part of my mantra. The hardest hard thing about it is doing it so that no one notices. And I'm not there yet.


* In the comic strip Dilbert (created by Scott Adams) "heck" is a lesser version of hell reserved for people who have done misdeeds that are not evil enough to warrant hell. Heck is ruled by Phil, the Prince of Insufficient Light who carries a giant spoon instead of a pitchfork.

Comments